The original core of a complex architectural structure dates back to the mid-16th century, commissioned by Odorico Piloni to publicly demonstrate the family's acquired power, a few decades after the arrival of his father Antonio from Cadore, following admission to the Maggior Consiglio in 1506.
The building still retains the fresco cycle of the four seasons attributed to Cesare Vecellio (1521-1601) in what was supposed to be the entrance hall of the original palace, now called the "fresco room" and transformed into a venue for meetings and public conferences.
On the upper floor, in the current representative hall of the Provincial Administration, a gallery of 16th-century portraits of the Piloni family members is on display, including the historian Giorgio; in the hall where the provincial council meets, minor works from the 17th century Belluno are exhibited.
The interior was completely redesigned during the expansion towards the Duomo carried out by architect Alberto Alpago-Novello (1889-1985) from 1926 to 1928.